Thursday, January 13, 2011

COLD AND SNOWY DAY . . .

All week long the weather man had been predicting cold weather starting on Sunday and for once they got it right. We woke up Sunday morning to the sound of rain, which then turned to snow later that morning. While the snow didn't stick because the ground was too warm it was still a pretty sight.

I decided that I wanted something to eat that was fast to prepare and along the lines of "comfort" food so I turned to my trusty recipe file and found one for savory mushrooms and polenta (I saw the recipe in our local paper but it was first printed in the Chicago Tribune). The word "polenta" is borrowed from the Italians and is a mush made from boiled yellow or white cornmeal. You can make it from scratch or purchase it from the supermarket, either in a box or roll (which is what I got).

Try it sometime you may like it.


I always try to chop all the ingredients before I actually start to cook - much easier that way.


After browning the shallots and  garlic I added the mushrooms. I just love the smell of mushrooms as they saute.


My polenta browning in the pan.



My wonderful dinner.


Savory Mushrooms and Polenta

1/4 cup olive oil, about
1 clove garlic, minced
2 shallots, chopped
3/4 to 1 pound assorted mushrooms (button, shiitake, baby bella, oyster), coarsely sliced
1/4 cup chicken broth, vegetable broth or white wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (thyme, basil, marjoram) or 2 teaspoons dried herbes de Provence
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 package (18 ounces) precooked polenta
Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional

1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in broth, herbs, salt and pepper; simmer 1 minute. Check seasonings; stir in parsley. Cover; keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, slice polenta into eight thick (1/2-to-1-inch) slices. Heat about 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook polenta slices until lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Drain.
4. Place polenta on serving platter. Top with mushrooms and Parmesan.

Try it sometime you just might find it as wonderful as I do.

Enjoy!

No comments: