Tuesday, February 1, 2011

COLD WEATHER AND HARVEST HAMBURGER SOUP . . .

Years ago I lived in a small town located on the western slope of Colorado. My children and I lived in Montrose for 13 years and loved it but in 1988 decided it was time to move back to Texas. I hated to leave all my friends but knew it was time to move on to another adventure.

I have a very dear friend who still lives in Montrose and was blessed that Norman and I could go visit Pam and her husband, Bob, last summer.  Pam is absolutely the most fabulous  cook, everything she makes is delicious. While we were there she served us the best homemade soup and I begged her for the recipe.

Since our Texas weather is changing this week from sunny and warm to very, very cold (temps in the teens) I thought a big pot of soup would be just the thing to have on such a cold day and since it doesn't take long to put together I thought you might like the recipe too.

First gather all the ingredients.

Next brown the hamburger meat and while that is browning you can chop all the vegetables.


Now add all the chopped vegetables and spices to the pot.


Lastly, add the wet ingredients.


Relax and let this simmer for 1 hour. I love serving this soup with cornbread.

HARVEST HAMBURGER SOUP

1 lb. ground beef
1 (16 oz) can tomatoes, cut up
2 med. onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 med. carrots, chopped
2 med. potatoes, cut up
1/3 c. pearl barley
1/4 c. ketchup
1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon granules
2 tablespoons seasoning salt
1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 bay leaf
5 cups water

In a large saucepan brown the ground beef, drain off fat. Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for one hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Remember to remove bay leaf before serving.)

This is what we woke up to this morning. First rain, then sleet and snow along with lots of wind. While people back East won't think this is a big thing to most Texans it is, so I am very glad I made my big pot of soup yesterday. Nothing will taste better on this cold and windy day like a bowl of hot soup.


Hope you enjoy this soup on those cold, snowy or rainy days like I do.

Enjoy!!

No comments: