Monday, April 25, 2011

LAST FEW DAYS OF MY SEATTLE TRIP . . .

Sunday we were up early and drove to a small town not far from Mike and Jan's home so that we could catch the ferry into downtown Seattle. It had turned out to be a very cold, rainy and windy day but the ferry ride was worth every minute.


Some of the homes along the banks of the water were absolutely beautiful.

As we were nearing downtown Seattle the skyline came into view and I couldn't resist taking a picture.

When I knew I was going to Seattle I told Jan that the only thing I really wanted to do was to go to Pike Place Market. I heard always heard so much about it and was thrilled that we were able to spend a few hours walking through the Market.

I was totally enthralled by all the flowers. The colors, the beauty, the smells and watching the ladies putting together these gorgeous bouquets - WOW! I just couldn't take my eyes off of them. They made it look so easy.


 Old and young alike were busy adding, weaving and making some of the most colorful arrangements.

Then we came upon all the fruits and vegetables. What a display. I could have gladly bought one of everything. All I could think about was what a great time I would have planning a meal with all of these fresh foods.



Of course, there is the famous fish area where they throw the fish back and forth. This time they had a customer behind the counter trying her best to catch the fish and I think that on the fourth or fifth try she finally was able to hold on to it.


The last image of the day was a man playing some very mournful music as we departed.

I left the next day and was sad to leave my friend, Jan, and her wonderful husband, Mike. They are the most gracious hosts and I had a fantastic time. I told Jan that I could easily move to that part of the country. It is so lush with greenery and color; however, I wonder if I could take all the rain. Guess you would just have to get use to it and realize that it is what makes that area so lovely.

There is a saying my daughter use to quote when she was a little girl and I couldn't help but think about it as we flew out of Seattle heading home toward DFW - "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold." How true that is. Jan and I first met in the 70s, in Montrose, Colorado, but as life sometimes gets in the way we moved to different areas of the country and hadn't seen each other for 20ish years. We have kept in touch and as it always is with good friends . . . we didn't miss a beat. It was as if we lived across the street from each other and saw each other every day. Don't you just love that with good friends?

No comments: