One of the local artist, Ron Cheek, was invited to be interviewed during the church service by our Senior Pastor, Ted Kitchens. He has done the most beautiful painting of the feet of Jesus as he hung from the cross. It was so life-like that it took my breath away. It made me realize all the pain and suffering that Jesus endured so that you and I could be saved. What love He has for us.
As I sat and listened to the interview I couldn't help but wonder how this would tie into a sermon and the Bible but I soon realized that the Bible talked about art and artists all through it. The first time was in Genesis 4:20-22 where it talked about forging all kinds of tools out of bronze and iron. The Bible also mentions agriculture, artistic expression, metal work, and fashion design.
- Art should be as important to us as all other aspects of culture
- We should use art to help facilitate worship
- Christians should be missional with their artistic expression
- God has called us to excellence within our gifts and skills
- An artist is a Christian first - find life in Christ rather than in your work
- Art is a powerful medium for testifying to who Christ really is
Then I couldn't help but think that God was actually our first artist and that everytime we look at the beauty He created for us we need to remember to thank Him.
Remember that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."